Sunday, March 20, 2011

Snowshoes and Pants

Well this post is quite late. I went on this hike 3 weeks ago, but never finished this post and updated it. Here's the post as I originally wrote it :)

Those are the two new pieces of gear I wish I had for this weekend. I went out hiking with Jena on Saturday, Ryan had to work until 6am so she left her tired husband to sleep and came out with me. We did just over 11 miles out around the Little Flat Fire Tower. Link to the route is here.

It was difficult to make out many of the trails, the snow cover was pretty good and the markings were pretty bad. We hiked along the road for a while until we found a trail that we were sure what it was and where it went. At the top of Little Flat is a fire tower. Unfortunately, the fire tower is closed to the public due to vandalism. It would have been pretty awesome to climb it and see the view. There's a cabin next to the tower (I assume for the tower supplies?) that was locked up. We followed the Mid State Trail (a common theme on my hikes) along the ridge.

The trail was covered in several inches of fresh snow, hence the title of the post. In some places it was 6 or more inches deep. Snow shoes would really have helped for a lot of the hike (especially the downhill parts). Also, having actual hiking pants would have helped. Currently, all of my pants are cotton. Better pants would be quick drying, wind proof, and stand up to the thrashing dished out by nature. I'll soon get myself a nice pair (or couple) of pants. All of this stuff costs money though :( Speaking of gear, I got to use my new backpack on this trek! It was awesome! I didn't use a hydration bladder (just kept a water bottle on cordage as usual), but I did fill it up with other layers and food and all that. Not too much weight, but still very comfy.

All in all it was a great hike, the full picture album can be found here.

No comments: