Sunday, January 3, 2010

Closet

When I moved into the new house, there was only one TEENSY TINY closet in my room. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of my room like that, so you'll have to trust me. Additionally, there wasn't a door... yeah, crazy. So the first thing I wanted to do was add a door. Well, that didn't happen. Why, you ask? Because there was mold in my bathroom and I had to redo a wall and plumbing with my father's help. Pictures can be found here.


So, eventually we finished the bathroom. Awesome. My next move was to install a door. Unfortunately, the door opening wasn't quite you standard rough opening size. Why? I have no freaking clue, but it wasn't. Once you see the rest of the house, you stop asking intelligent questions as to the design (you should have seen the crazy framing that was in the bathroom wall that we redid). So I wound up buying a belt sander (which I then happily sold to my dad) and began to sand the rough door opening so that it would fit. I finally got it, and then stuck the door in one night in August. As you can see from the picture (click on the first one to enlarge), there is a gap between the top of the door jamb and the bottom of the soffit. That hasn't been fixed yet, also no trim. BUT it FINALLY got a coat of paint and a handle/lockset!


The next project was adding in a closet! Over thanksgiving, my dad and mom came to state college. They helped me design and build a closet so that i could actually store my clothes and begin to clean my room. They left with framing done and the drywall hung and 1 coat of mud on the seams. I finished the mudding and put coats of paint on the closet then later. The inside has a coat of primer and 2 coats of semi-gloss white paint. The doors and jamb then got 1 coat of primer, 2 coats of semi-gloss white and 1 coat of semi-gloss ULTRA PURE WHITE by Behr (my paint of choice).


Eventually trim will be installed, but I am going to wait until I choose a color and paint my walls first. Then I don't have to worry about cutting in around the trim. I can paint the ultra pure white trim before it gets installed and then touch up the nail holes in place. It should look awesome once installed.


Now to continue sorting through the boxes and boxes of crap.....
Posted by Picasa

No comments: